UNESCO Fair Play Award for Tracy Barnes



Some of you may have seen Tracy and Lanny on the Today Show when the story broke about Tracy giving up her spot on the Olympic team for her twin sister Lanny.  It was a selfless act for someone who had worked so hard and long for that goal.  According to the Today Show, " The sisters from Durango, Colo., have trained together for the last 15 years, and both competed at the 2006 Olympics in Torino. Lanny, who is five minutes older than Tracy, was the only one to make the team for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. She finished 23rd in the 15-kilometer event in 2010, which marked the best finish by a U.S. athlete in that event since 1994."  It is great to see Tracy recognized for her sacrifice for her sister.  Here is the highlight from the Shaklee Healthwise Blog.


The biathlon may not be a very popular sport in America, but thanks to Tracy Barnes’ incredibly magnanimous act of giving up her spot on the U.S. team for her twin sister, Lanny, both she and her sport have received worldwide recognition in the glow of the Sochi Games.
Tracy, a Shaklee Pure Performance Team member, has received yet another honor, this time from the International Committee for Fair Play. She received the United Nations UNESCO Fair Play Award and was presented with the Pierre de Coubertin World Trophy.
“I think sportsmanship is a way for people to go beyond the playing field,” Tracy said, “and recognize that there is more to sports than just a win. Sportsmanship is about creating champions, both on and off the field.  And while I am not a champion in my sport, I do strive to be a good person and do the right thing … I didn’t compete in these Games, but I feel I have won. I had the most incredible experience of cheering for my twin sister and best friend in the greatest sporting event in the world. And I couldn’t be more proud of her effort.”
A 2006 U.S. team member and long-time Shaklee advocate, Tracy has provided motivation to numerous athletes at the Games and sports enthusiasts around the world. But she is also quick to recognize the powerful influence others have had in her life and competitive career.
“I for one have been surrounded by incredibly inspiring people my entire life and I have to say that their selflessness has rubbed off on me,” she said. “Both my grandparents were in the Army and Air Force and served their country. Both my parents were school teachers and their selfless dedication to their students and that of all teachers continues to inspire me.  And my older sister is a doctor and surgeon. Their dedication to helping others is a model I will continue to strive for in my life.”
While it remains to be seen if the biathlon will gain more popularity and participation in the United States now that the 2014 Games are over, the tremendous impact that Tracy has had in the sports world is undeniable. “I hope that my story will help to inspire people to do something good for the people they care about,” she said.
Indeed, Tracy’s story has captured the true spirit of sportsmanship and of the Games, and we’re proud to claim her in the Shaklee Family.

No comments: