Make 2014 A Healthy New Year

Have you set your New Year goals for 2014?  How are you doing on them?  We are a couple weeks into January and it is a good time to check in on your progress and make any adjustments needed.  If you are in the Midwest... you may be a little behind because we have had some crazy cold weather but keeping yourself on track, even if you have an off day, is the key.  

92% of all New Year resolutions are centered on becoming more healthy and losing weight.  Many of us recommit to our goals multiple times during the year; every time determined to be successful.  However, I believe setting realistic, achievable goals is an important part to being successful.  For example... if you are just beginning to exercise, it may be unrealistic to set a goal to run the Indianapolis Mini Marathon in May.  A first step goal might be to walk the mini or run a 5K.

Here are some of my goals for 2014...

*  Drink more water  - A few years ago I stopped drinking diet sodas after learning about aspartame and the long term health consequences of it.  I do like coffee but usually have decaf and I also enjoy hot teas in the winter.  I have been making an effort to drink water with lemon before anything else in the morning.  This is a great way to get a jump start on your daily water intake and it helps flush your system and get things moving.  Remember, if you drink something with caffeine, it cancels out water so for every caffeine beverage, you have to drink an equal amount of water to even out.

* Move more  - It is recommended to get in 10,000 steps every day.  I have tried pedometers in the past and they sometimes fall off or are just in the way.  So for Christmas, I asked for a Fitbit which is a pedometer and more that you wear on your wrist.  It is simple to use, wireless, gives me updates and the battery lasts for multiple days and can be worn in the shower.  Pretty creative tool.  So far, so good.

* Cook with my kids - When I grew up, my Mom made great meals and they were always from scratch.  She would ask me to help her and that was something we enjoyed.  Our schedules were so busy running to all the after school practices and events, that it became easy to lose that opportunity with my family.  I have been taking advantage of the snow days (thanks to the fun winter weather we are having this year) and asking my kids to help me cook.  They are still warming up to it but I think it will make great memories and also help them understand the importance of real food and sharing meals together.

These are a few of my health goals.  I would love to hear what yours are and how you are doing on your path to achieving them so far.

No comments: