Simple Composting
As I mentioned, my family likes juicing fresh fruit and veggies (well I sneak in more veggies than they know), as a healthy treat. As the last couple days have gone from 90's to 70's, we only have a month or two of local produce before winter starts to set in.
We pulled out our juicer for a fun treat and I thought I would share a quick and simple composting idea for the leftover pulp. As you can see in the picture, I simply dug a hole (deep enough so that local animals don't dig it up), put in the fruit and vegetable pulp and then covered it up. Banana peels, lemon/lime/orange peels, apple cores, watermelon/cantaloupe rinds, and other vegetable scraps can also be composted this way, enriching your flower and garden beds.
It is a great way to reduce scraps from your garbage and provide "free" compost infused with nutrients.
A couple other options for the left over pulp is to save it for protein smoothies, add it into muffins or breads and if you make a veggie juice, use the pulp in vegetable soup (you can refrigerate and even freeze the pulp to use later).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment