What does "Buying Local" Mean to You?


The kids and I have been in Michigan this week, visiting with both sides of Grandparents and having fun with all our family. I always enjoy going back home where I grew up and I lknow the kids are making special memories.

On our way out to my parent's house we stopped by the Farmer's Market in Depot Town because my Dad was there selling black raspberries and handmade rugs he makes on an old fashioned rug loom. I thought the kids would get a kick out of seeing their Papa selling at the market and I wanted to meet his friend Sam, who also sells at the market and is an organic farmer. Sam is taking organic farming classes at a local university and asked me a question which I thought I knew the answer to but found out I didn't... "What does local mean to you"? My answer was "within a close distance of my house". Sam explained that his organic farming class had asked the same question and arrived at many different answers. If my answer was correct then cherries from Traverse City wouldn't be considered local in Ypsilanti or Ann Arbor. So, his organic farming group defined "buying local" as regional. So, even here in Indianapolis, we could bring in cherries from Traverse City and that would be more local than something from California. I learned something new and I have a new appreciation for "buying local".

The ultimate local produce though is when you can go in your own backyard and pick fruit and vegetables for free. At Mama and Papa's, the kids had fun picking the black raspberries and I think they ate more than what they put in the basket. We also picked strawberries from the strawberry patch and even though it is the end of the season... berries in the store just don't compare! Mama made shortcake from scratch and we had strawberry shortcake for dinner. You just can't beat it!

No comments: