I grew up in a country area near Ann Arbor Michigan. My family had 5 acres and about 3 to 4 of those were planted with vegetables, fruits (like strawberries, red and black raspberries which are my favorites) and apple trees, cherry trees, pear trees, wild grapes and more. We also had several large strawberry farms within a mile of us. I grew up helping plant, weed and pick in the garden. It was the best when there wasn't enough rain because that meant that my Dad would need to get out the irrigation pipes and I loved to run through the garden under the water. Just last summer, my Dad had the irrigation going and I had the fun of watching my three children running in the water, swishing their toes in the sandy dirt and having a ball. They asked every day if Papa would turn the irrigation on again so they could go out and play.
When I was young I didn't appreciate living in the country, having so many fresh foods to eat ... often right off the vine or tree. It wasn't until I moved away that I realized how fortunate I was growing up. I learned to appreciate growing my own food and a love for nature. I love going back home to Michigan. My parents are 79 and 81 and my Dad still grows his garden, works on his apple trees and takes his items to the local farmer markets. I joke with them that they instilled a little bit of green in me before we new what that meant. They have composted their food scrapes into their soil as long as I can remember and I think that must be where I get the reduce, reuse, recycle gene ... my Dad will fix things that everyone else would throw away and he uses many common things over and over for other uses.
Even though I live in a suburban neighborhood in Indianapolis, I have a little of that green thumb instilled in me. When I have time, I enjoy working outside in my flowers or the small area where I grow vegetables for my family. We have a few black raspberry bushes that get eaten way to quickly between the 3 kids, rhubarb which I love for the strawberry/rhubarb pies that are so good and the usual tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, herbs and hot peppers for making salsa.
I love going back home to Michigan and reconnecting - It was there that I learned to love being outside and connecting with nature. I hope that I can continue to pass along that love and respect for nature to my children.


No comments:
Post a Comment