Safe and Non-Toxic Ways to Remove Weeds


Over the last couple years I have moved toward natural gardening and I must admit that up until now that meant pulling weeds by hand and using a hoe. I made this choice as part of my overall commitment to reduce my children's exposure to chemicals in and around our home.
My husband has been teasing me that my flower beds look more like weed beds and unfortunately... he is right. I was telling a friend about my weed bed and how I am having a hard time keeping up and she told me about a great new tool... The Rocket Weeder. It is easy to use and ergonomically designed to allow you to pull weeds at the root while standing. I found it works best for larger weeds like dandelion and thistle and is a great choice for anyone looking for a safe non-toxic alternative to herbicides.
In a recent issue of Indiana Living Green, they shared other safe options to control weeds. Horticultural Vinegar with 20 percent acidity works on individual weeds (a safe alternative to Roundup); however it is non-selective so use it carefully around other plants. ILG also recommended corn gluten as preemergent for crabgrass and other annual weeds. However, it works best when applied in early spring before the last frost date.

No comments: